NEW FACIAL CELL THERAPY WITH AUTOLOGOUS PLATELET-RICH PLASMA (PRP) AVAILABLE IN AESTHETIC CLINICS IN SOUTH AFRICA. REGENLAB PROCESS.
REGENLAB-PRP PROCESS has now superseded the use of Isolagen®, as a leading biostimulatory method in South Africa to rejuvenate the aging face with the clients own enriched plasma. Best results are seen in persons with mild aging. Isolagen® and Restorelle® technologies utilized the patients own cultured dermal fibroblasts to address facial wrinkles. Because of high production and transport costs, cell therapy with living fibroblasts became unaffordable, obsolete and production ceased. Restorelle® was initially championed at Stellenbosch. The hiatus left, was filled by REGENLAB PRP, a patented platelet cell therapy process, and the rejuvenation results have proven superior to those of Isolagen®. A combination of cultured fibroblasts and PRP has shown no synergy, is cost ineffective and labour intensive. Another advantage is that REGENLAB PRP is far cheaper, without need for tissue culture technology, and can be generated in the doctor’s rooms within 30 minutes from a small blood specimen obtained from the client undergoing facial rejuvenation. Scientific testing of other PRP tubes has proved inferior to REGENLAB Technology. Plain, unspecified tubes used off the shelf, and used in an uncontrolled fashion have shown pathetic platelet yield and no measurable GF.
REGENLAB-PRP PROCESS is state-of-the art technology; CE marked and provides the patient with the best enriched plasma, including platelet count and growth factor analysis. For the moment this is the best performance product and PRP technology available on the market, with predictable efficacy and measured outcomes. This has been verified by academic units and BOLANDCELL. This success has been enhanced with ongoing doctor-education in the use of PRP, including planned workshops, and hands-on training under supervision, country-wide. This initiative has been increased to ensure consistent results and to ensure patient safety.
REGENLAB-PRP PROCESS is a valuable and safe adjunct to attain cosmetic facial enhancement, by the biological route, one-off, with minimal risk and is popular for nonsurgical skin rejuvenation. Many clients request to rejuvenate themselves with their own plasma, instead of traumatic thermal light, lasers, IPL and RF. These modalities, including fractional photothermolysis, are cost ineffective, require multiple passes over weeks and render invariable and non-lasting skin rejuvenation. In some clients scarring is a problem, together with post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
AVAILABILITY OF REGENLAB PRP PROCESS REGARDING FACIAL REJUVENATION SERVICES IN SOUTH AFRICA
- Cape Town, Cape Town City Bowl, Stellenbosch, Parklands
- Sea Point
- Durbanville, Bellville, Parow, Tyger Waterfront, Strand, Somerset West
- Johannesburg, Sandton
- Pretoria, Alberton
- Port Elizabeth
- Windhoek, Namibia
WHAT AUTOLOGOUS REGENLAB PRP ( AUTOLOGOUS PLATELET RICH PLASMA) OFFERS REGARDING FACIAL REJUVENATION. THE REGENLAB PROCESS.
- Quantifiable improvement of skin complexion with visible changes noticeable in 3-4 weeks-especially forehead, cheeks, neck and back of hands
- PRP is not a volumetric filler, but biological cell therapy with your own cells and enriched plasma. But it is also not a magic bullet to treat chronological aging.
- Facial soft tissue augmentation without synthetic filler or animal products
- No need for costly lasers, IPL, or RF
- No need for fat transfer operations or face lifts
- A popular, relatively painless injectable treatment for the aging face in cosmetic practices (like mesotherapy, except that PRP is used as the injectable, that is far more predictable)
HOW IS FACIAL AUGMENTATION AFFECTED WITH REGENLAB PRP?
- Augments the dermis and epidermis by enhancing the growth of keratinocytes, fibroblasts and deposition of collagen. This improves skin tone, texture and colour.
- One-off treatment, negligible down time, PRP can ameliorate mild to moderate skin changes but needs redoing 6-12 monthly because of the ongoing chronological aging process and senescence of fibroblasts that eventually stall forming collagen and elastin due to age-exhaustion. Although very effective, the REGEN PROCESS is also non-permanent rejuvenation and maintenance treatment is needed to combat ongoing aging. There is no non-surgical procedure that can match the brilliant results of a facelift at 5 and 10 years. The REGEN PROCESS is an excellent adjunct to soft tissue facial rejuvenation but is not a magic bullet for the amelioration of deep creases, folds, pigmentation, elastosis, jowls and deep forehead vertical lines. Clients tend to forget the aging process continues unabated and that the results of non-invasive treatments such as laser, IPL and RF only last for about 6 months. The REGEN PROCESS does offer something special, because the patient’s own plasma is used for the enhancement of facial macroaesthetics. The following areas on the face are selected for rejuvenation injection by the REGEN PROCESS:
- Glabella crease
- Malar and cheek area
- Periorbital and perioral zones ( including lower lid)
- Nasolabial and nasojugal folds
REGEN PROCESS OF FACIAL REJUVENATION WITH AUTOLOGOUS PLATELET-RICH PLASMA: PREFERRED METHOD OF PRP DELIVERY TO SKIN DERMIS AND HYPODERMIS.
The REGEN PROCESS, by facial rejuvenation addresses the soft tissues lost through aging or solar damage – and is directed at improvement of dermal atrophy, fat atrophy, gravitational descent to a degree, loss of skin tone and skin texture. To be effective the activated and enriched plasma has to be injected into the skin and dermis by tiny and carefully directed needle jabs, much the same the way as other fillers and Botox® are delivered. The skin has to be numbed with topical anaesthetic cream and subcutaneous injection of local anaesthetic agent. This has to be done by a qualified doctor.
PRP can be delivered to the anaesthetized skin by direct injection with a conventional hypodermic syringe and small beveled needle. All make-up should have been removed prior to this procedure of skin biostimulation with PRP. The needle pricks in the skin are needed to kick-start the healing process of the PRP and proliferation of fibroblasts that will produce collagen and elastin needed to rejuvenate your skin. The process is slow and takes about 3 months, although good results are perceptible as early as 3 weeks. The rejuvenated fibroblasts last for a while and them succumb again to the inevitable chronological aging process and become tired. The complexion of the skin deteriorates and the lines and wrinkles sadly, reappear. So further injections will be needed, but the time period differs from client to client. Six monthly resurfacing is the experience of BOLANDCELL consultants. The crow-feet and marionette lines around the mouth are very difficult to control, regardless of the method used. Dynamic lines are not affected by PRP treatment.
BOLANDCELL consultants are of the opinion that the best results of PRP are unquestionably when the PRP is delivered via a mesogun. Simply, more tiny patterned punctures are made under very controlled conditions. Initially the mesogun is set on manual and then on automatic that delivers magical amounts to the skin. The bevel of the needle can be accurately set to address the skin thickness of the lower lids, cheeks, forehead etc. Very consistent rejuvenation of the skin is achieved and far superior to those seen after fractional photothermolysis or other laser, or IPL treatments. PRP does not produce scarring that follows the use of lasers. Superior delivery of autologous platelet-rich plasma is accomplished by this technology because the depth of the needle can be accurately set.
Figure 1: A specimen of venous blood is collected in special tubes prior to preparation of autologous platelet-rich plasma (PRP). The REGEN PROCESS uses the best quantified PRP available in South Africa. Other products render inferior yields of platelets and platelet derived growth factors. Under these circumstances, poor and invariable outcomes can be expected.
INVARIABLE OR NO RESPONSE TO THE REGEN PROCESS INCLUDES:
- Alcohol abuse
- Genetics and rapid natural chronological aging with line formation
- Advanced solar aging
- Advanced hyperpigmentation
- Advanced and irreversible facial changes: type iii and iv face
- Deep vertical forehead lines
- Telangiectasis of the cheeks and nose associated with plethora
- Deep perioral lines ( marionette lines)
Figure 2: The REGEN PROCESS renders the best cellular regenerative capacities ex vivo compared to other products.
CONTRAINDICATIONS TO THE REGEN PROCESS
- Facial cancer, past and present. This includes SCC, BCC and melanoma
- Systemic cancer, chemotherapy, steroid therapy
- Dermatological diseases affecting the face ( i.e. porphyria)
- Blood disorders and platelet abnormalities
- Certain herbal products
- Aspirin or anti-platelet agents
Figure 3: The REGEN PROCESS can be enhanced by use of autologous platelet-rich plasma (PRP) delivered by a mesogun ( U225). Needle depth can be accurately set for precise delivery.
Figure 4: Precise delivery of the autologous platelet-rich plasma (PRP).
COST ANALYSIS OF THE REGEN PROCESS, FACIAL PRP, COMPARED TO OTHER TREATMENTS. YOU NEED TO BUDGET FOR COSMETIC AND AESTHETIC INTERVENTIONS.
- Initial consultation: free
- REGEN PROCESS ( TOTAL) : R2000
- Fraxel®: R6000
- Thermage® R28000 (total)
- Accent Alma® RF: R 200. Need many treatments.
- Botox®: R1500 per 50 units inclusive of consultation and will do half of the face(every 4-6 months)
- Facial in salon: R250 per treatment
- Microdermabrasion: R 350 per treatment ( need 4-8 treatments)
- LED phototherapy: R100 per treatment ( need 5-8 treatments)
- Facelift: R 25000 ( one off)
- Blepharoplasty: R10000 (one off)
- Velashape®/ Velasmooth®/ Ultrashape®: R 250 per treatment and 8-10 treatments are needed before any significant changes are visible
- Advanced skin analysis: free
FIGURE 5: AUTOLOGOUS PLATELET-RICH PLASMA FACIAL MESOTHERAPY. Excellent tone, texture and skin complexion achieved 6 months after planned facial PRP mesotherapy in 44-year old Caucasian female. The result can be enhanced with Botox®, careful concomitant application of night creams containing retinyl palmitate, acetate and squalane. (Permission given to publish).
SAFETY OF THE REGEN PLASMA PROCESS OF FACIAL REJUVENATION WITH AUTOLOGOUS PLATELET-RICH PLASMA
It is safe treatment because autologous (your own) plasma is used. Expect mild redness, swelling, bruising and minor discomfort.
HOW TO ENHANCE THE REGEN PROCESS OF FACIAL REJUVENATION WITH PRP
- Application of REGENPRP plus 4-6 sessions of LED in the doctors rooms
- Avoid unrealistic add-on, “ nonsurgical face –lifts” approach to skin care
- Avoid further sun exposure and use sun screens
- Don’t be drowned in heavy moisturizers. Aging is not a lack of oil.
- Consider conditioners containing glycolic acid
- M-Active® night cream contains retinyl palmitate and is highly effective
- Salon facial treatments for aging skin is essential on a regular basis ( weekly, then bi-weekly for 6-12 treatments), decreasing slowly to once or two over 4 weeks. Gentle massage is indispensable.
- Microcurrant in a salon can improve elasticity, collagen content and elastin content
FIGURE 6: Advanced digital skin imaging, biometry and wrinkle micro-relief in the same female patient undergoing facial PRP- mesotherapy, showing good quality epidermis and preservation of rejuvenation status.
MODUS OPERANDI OF THE REGEN PROCESS OF FACIAL REJUVENATION BY BIOSTIMULATION AND PRP.
- Step 1: Your doctor should do an advanced skin analysis, such at BOLANDCELL, that measures skin morphology and function that allows planning of treatment, and facilitates follow-up of the patient. Time: 30 minutes. BOLANDCELL uses advanced academic skin technology to achieve these aims.
- Step 2: Choose a doctor that you can trust. Discuss your concerns and problems.
- Step 3: Have a positive outlook, and realistic goals. The aging process is an ongoing process and cannot be reversed despite what some doctor’s claim. Some lesions on the face are very difficult to treat and recurrence is often seen by academic doctors. Experience dictates outcomes. Some non-invasive apparatus and devices have no effect at all and waste time and money.
- Step 4: The REGEN PROCESS has a very low side-effect profile because your own plasma is used. Tell the doctor about your allergies and pill intake (also herbs!!) . Best results can be expected in persons with mild aging changes. It is a waste of time in persons with severe solar aging.
- Have treatment on a Friday and allow any swelling to subside on the weekend
- Remember not all rooms, doctors and labs provide optimum PRP.
THE REGEN PROCESS:
- Doctor takes a sample of venous blood from your arm
- Blood is placed in a special REGENLAB Collection Tube and the PRP is processed. Other tubes render inferior levels of PRP, and poor GF stimulation, with invariable facial rejuvenation or no response. Scientific publications confirm this as well as comprehensive assessment and quantification by BOLANDCELL. If any, unproven tubes are used, you will waste your time and money, because very poor quality PRP will be generated.
- PRP generation via the REGEN PROCESS takes 30 minutes in a side room and is an accepted process.
- Cover face with Emla® cream, or equivalent, a good 30-45 minutes before injection and the face must feel numb. Local anaesthesia may still be needed.
- Multiple small jab injections are made close together into the skin releasing the PRP in order to kick-start rejuvenation by GF stimulation that is derived from your platelets in the PRP. The neck and dorsum’s of the hands can also be done at one session. Procedure time for the face is about 1.5 hours. Very rapid treatment is given with the mesogun and swelling negligible.
- Recovery is fast and expect results at 3-4 weeks. Some persons show more swelling of the skin under the injections than other clients. It is impossible to identify who will show excessive swelling. Fortunately, the swelling subsides in all and there are no sequelae. Marked improvement in your skin condition and your overall appearance can be expected.
- Adding sessions of LED ( non thermal red light) to THE REGEN PROCESS is in your interest and recommended. Daily application of M-ACTIV® night cream or glycolic formulation ( Neostrata®) will enhance the results even more. This cosmetic cream is available in South Africa. So multimodal treatment with the light, creams, massage and the salon is important.
- Very acceptable and promising results have been reported from England, France and Japan and the longest follow up is about 2 years at the time of posting.
Disclaimer. Bolandcell does no supply any information regards treatment options. These must be discussed between the client and the resident health care professional that is responsible for treatment options and outcomes.
Posted 4 May 2008.