AESTHETIC MEDICINE CONGRESS SOUTH AFRICA 2008 (AMCSA) PROVIDES UPDATED INFORMATION REGARDING BEAUTY, COSMETIC RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT.
The latest beauty research and development, and state-of-the art, in the field of non-invasive, cosmetic and aesthetic medicine, exploring fields of regenerative medicine, will be presented by leading international and local scientific speakers on 26-27 September 2008, at the CSIR venue in Gauteng, South Africa.
Informative presentations , including beauty workshops by the experts, will cover peri-orbital rejuvenation, aesthetic mesotherapy, facial rejuvenation with platelet-rich plasma (A-PRP), lasers, radiofrequency, fractional photothermolysis, non-invasive treatment of obesity and cellulite, Velasmooth, Velashape, Ultrashape, facial anatomy, hair transplantation, facial peels, E-MAX matrix fractional diode, combination IPL/laser/ RF treatment, Mosaic non-ablative fractional laser for skin resurfacing, Fraxel-fractional laser resurfacing, Botox, Omnilux, fillers, Ultra-pulsed CO2 fractional treatment of skin ageing signs, LED light therapy in skin rejuvenation, semi-ablative laser treatments, skin revitalizing mesotherapy, Power Plate, contouring, shaping and cellulite treatment, evolutions in cryotherapy, Restylane, hands, neck and décolleté rejuvenation, sexual aging, facial threads, topical probiotics and Filorga Mesopeel. Academics, private aesthetic physicians and trade will participate. In other words, how to improve, restore and preserve the face, at the same time getting rid of lines, sagging and wrinkles. Rejuvenation is the name of the game and at the same time trying to find ways of turning back the aging clock.
Some of the 2008 speakers include, Greg Whal, Moshe Lapidoth, Don du Toit, Nardus Le Grange, JM Davis, Nerina Wilkensen, Riekie Smit, Stefan Rawlings, Marlene Wasserman, Elizabeth Briden, Philippe Petit, Paul Perl, Alek Nikolic, Jacques Snyman etc. This is the third time the congress is being held, the first two at Kievietskroon and Gallagher Estate.
DIS-CHEM PHARMACIES announced their new skincare laser clinics and beauty salons, country wide. They offer low level laser treatment (also known as soft laser), apart from conventional options for facial rejuvenation. Laser light is known to stimulate underlying dermal fibroblasts and these results in rejuvenation by renewal and production of fibroblasts and elastin. The aims are, by cold laser light; to reduce facial lines, improve marks and scars. The treatments are very reasonably priced in the range of R360 per treatment session.
FACIAL REJUVENATION AND ANTI-AGING BEAUTY TREATMENTS IN VOGUE FROM SALONS AND COSMETIC CLINICS
- Skin analysis to detect the degree of solar damage before starting beauty treatment. Assessment should include epidermal and dermal elements. This new form of advanced skin analysis includes structure and function of the skin.
- Microdermabrasion ( very popular, effective and fits all budgets)
- Cellulite, fat and body contouring ( Velasmooth and Velashape)
- Chemical facial peels: to renew skin by mechanical exfoliation. Glycolic acid and TCA very popular
- Mesotherapy, and micro-needling
- Sclerotherapy for tiny veins
- Facial mesotherapy with platelet-rich plasma (PRP)
- Living cultured human autologous fibroblasts: Isolagen equivalent. Very popular and safe and only performed by one registered unit in South Africa. Six months needed for the skin to renew and to let the dermal resident fibroblasts rejuvenate, and for amelioration of wrinkles. Human dermal fibroblasts obtained from a small skin biopsy from the patient. The cells grow in a special lab, then are collected in a syringe and injected under the wrinkles to allow natural filling to occur over time. Usual natural home care goes on. RF can also used to enhance effects. The cell culture process is about 4-6 weeks. Both the face and neck can be restored or rejuvenated but enough vials must be cultured. The cost is about R5000 in the RSA and R25000 overseas. Maintenance injections may be needed after 6-8 months as no two persons respond the same. It is a perfect way to remodel pre-existing dermis. Improves cosmetic appearance of skin with a reduction of surface irregularities. Effective form of regenerative medicine because your own cells are used that are viable. The cut off age is 55 years. In some instances, and for no explainable reason, the cells don’t grow. Usually 3 sets of injections are given at 3 weekly intervals. Please read ISOLAGEN PROCESS VERSUS PRP on this website. Used together with the appropriate cosmeceuticals, a good result is usually seen. But not better than peels in the hands of experts. And no dangers of laser scarring. In some cases with advanced aging of the skin variable results are seen because it is difficult in these cases to reverse the aging process and structural atrophy.
- Laser fractional skin resurfacing ( Fraxel and Mosaic)
- Laser hair removal
- Intense pulsed light-therapy (IPL)
- Light emitting diode (LED): facial rejuvenation
- Galvanic stimulation
- Power Plate
- Skin rejuvenation with the Ellipse fractional laser
- Fillers ( Restylane)
- Botulinum ( highly effective in young clients): Botox
- Periorbital rejuvenation
- Hair transplantation
- Treatment of melasma, scarring ( difficult, results are variable and recurrence is the problem)
- Skin tightening: Alma, Titan, Thermage
- Treatment of rosacea ( very difficult to get lasting results)
- Treatment of select patients with acne
- Radiofrequency for skin tightening and rejuvenation
- Plastic surgery by registered plastic surgeons: blepharoplasty, face lift, tummy tuck, abdominoplasty, fat filling, lipo-suction and Smart-lipo, nose and chin correction, breast reduction and implants
- Teeth whitening
Terms and conditions prevail.
Where to start beauty treatment?
- Don’t jump into lasers and IPL when you are young: the risk is drying out the skin permanently and scarification. Get expert advice before jumping into the fire, even if you wish non-invasive treatment. Avoid being dazzled by hundreds of machines and glib talk. Look carefully at your budget.
- Start with a skin consultation and have a proper scan by an expert. Work out your life-style, check your hormone profile and menopausal status, and make more liberal use of skin/sun block-out. Don’t change sun-blocks all the time, as you will end up with an allergy. Avoid the sun falling on the face. Wear broad rim hats. Learn to use cosmeceuticals. Some vitamin-A creams can sensitize the skin. Be cautious and avoid allergies that can severely affect the upper eyelids and result in swelling, flairs, breakouts and hives.
- Classify your face and any skin damage by the sun. There is no quick fix for beauty treatment and all wrinkles won’t disappear. Natural aging continues. Sagging continuous. You will always need maintenance treatment. You may be unlucky and have inherited genes for rapid facial wrinkling. Wrinkling around the eyes is problematical. Fortunately, there are treatment options.
- See how sensitive your skin is to potential treatment
- In young woman, BOTOX and facial peels work well. Glycolic acid peels are very effective and can clear up acne and other spots. But remember, the face gets worse before it gets better. Treatment can be gotten for a few hundred rand and the options obtained can fit into your budget. Think very carefully before you convert to lasers, RF and IPL. Stick with microdermabrasion and peels as long as possible. Space carefully.
- Usually this is all that is needed, perhaps with a patch up peel after 6 months
- Grade up to RF, IPL, Laser, gradually. This now becomes a very costly affair now and could exceed your budget.
- If one has the money, a blepharoplasty , tummy tuck and face life, done by an expert plastic surgeon will render results far better than any form of non-ablative treatments given in salons. One-off, a slight down time. And the surgical corrections last for years.
- Cellulite can be treated to-day without surgery and the results are quite good. But you have to be on a diet. Go for a quotation. You have a selection of machines and all give about the same result: Enquire about Velasmooth, Velashape, LPG, Endermologie, RF and Ultrashape. Liposuction is a surgical option that works well, far more effective than fat machines, but is costly. It is a one off treatment while between 8-10 treatments on those machines are needed before results are visible. The cost of anti-fat machines then will be in the range of R 8000.
BOLANDCELL ACADEMIC BEAUTY REFERENCES:
- Mark Lees. Skin care beyond the basics. Thompson, 2007 1-414.
- Marx RE et al. Dental and Craniofacial Applications of Platelet-Rich Plasma. Quintessence Books. Chicago. 2005 1-154.
Posted 19 August 2008 in Cape Town.